St. Petersburg Wrongful Death Attorneys
A “wrongful death” is a death caused by the negligent or intentional act of another. In Florida, a wrongful death action is brought to hold the responsible party accountable for their negligent conduct. The Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys has been representing families in wrongful death lawsuits for nearly 25 years. With over $90 million in settlements and verdicts, our goal is to ensure that your family receives full compensation when tragedy strikes.
Our legal system rightfully places a high value on life and thus wrongful death lawsuits often involve large damage recoveries. With so much at stake, it is important you hire a law firm with the trial skills and financial resources necessary to pursue and quickly resolve your case. At the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys, our attorneys handle a wide variety of personal injury claims — it’s all we do — and have helped countless accident victims recover after a loved one’s wrongful death.
If have legal questions and need St. Petersburg wrongful death attorneys with decades of experience and a history of success at trial, call the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys 1-800-222-8163.
Grounds for a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Under Florida law, if a person’s death is caused by a wrongful act, negligence of another person or entity, the estate of the deceased person may bring a civil lawsuit in a Florida court, seeking compensation for the death and all associated losses. The plaintiff is the estate’s personal representative, who seeks compensation on behalf of the estate and the deceased’s survivors.
Wrongful death lawsuits may arise from a multitude of tragic situations, including the following:
- Motorcycle, pedestrian or vehicle collisions caused by another driver;
- Defective medical devices;
- Failure to properly diagnose a disease or condition which resulted in progression to the point the condition could not be successfully treated,
- Premises liability: slip and fall or trip and fall injuries resulting in death;
- A trucking company’s failure to properly maintain its fleet, causing a fatal vehicle accident;
- Negligently performed electrical work, causing a fatal fire.
To be actionable, a loved one’s death need not occur immediately after the negligent act. Frequently, negligence victims live for days or months after the injury before eventually succumbing. During such a difficult time, it is important to have an experienced wrongful death attorney watching out for your family’s interests.
Damages Recoverable in a Wrongful Death Suit
Under Florida law, potential beneficiaries may be entitled receive the following compensation:
- Lost past support and services from the date of the fatal injury to the time of death, with interest, and,
- Lost future support and services since the date of death.
Specific parties can obtain additional damages, including:
- A spouse may recover for loss of companionship and protection as well as for mental pain and suffering,
- Minor children may recover for lost parental companionship, instruction, guidance and for mental pain and suffering,
- The parent of a deceased, minor child may recover for mental pain and suffering,
- A parent who lost an adult child could recover for mental pain and suffering, if there are no other next of kin, and,
- Medical or funeral expenses could be received by the survivor who paid them.
Wrongful Death Statute of Limitations
The statute of limitations, or deadline, to file a wrongful death lawsuit in St. Petersburg Florida is, generally, two years from the date of death of the person. Unless there is an exception to this rule, such a lawsuit filed after two-year period is likely to be dismissed.
If your family member was killed due another person, business, government agency or some other entity’ negligence, contact our office as soon as possible, even though the statute of limitations to file a lawsuit may be many months away. Your case may be complex, involving multiple parties and many insurance companies. Witnesses may be difficult to locate, evidence often disappears quickly, requiring a thorough investigation to get a solid basis to decide whether a wrongful death lawsuit should be filed, and if so, against whom.
Wrongful Death Questions – Call Today!
Contact the St. Petersburg wrongful death attorneys at the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys today to discuss the facts of your case and applicable law. The consultation is free. Our attorneys specialize in recovering all damages compensable related to these tragic claims. We understand the grief and stress caused by the death of a loved one and are dedicated to supporting our clients through these terrible times.
Our skilled team of compassionate personal injury lawyers is here to answer your family’s questions 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call now 1-800-222-8163
At the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys, we don’t get paid unless we win. And We Want to Win!