Sarasota Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Riding a motorcycle can be great fun but it is also significantly more dangerous than riding in a motor vehicle. Car and trucks on the roadways are a serious threat to motorcycle riders — especially when its it is dark outside or other drivers are careless or negligent. When motorcycle crashes occur due to negligence, we hold the responsible party accountable seeking full compensation on behalf of our injured clients.
At the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys, we have been helping those injured in accidents for nearly 25 years — including those hurt or killed in motorcycle accidents. Our Sarasota motorcycle accident attorneys have obtained more than $90 million in settlements and verdicts. We understand motorcycle injuries can have severe, life-long consequences, result in significant medical expenses and wage loss and stand ready to support clients who have suffered needless personal injuries in motorcycle collisions.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists and their passengers are killed and injured in Florida every day. The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reports that in 2016,
- 545 motorcyclists and their passengers were killed in the state, up from 449 in 2014, and,
- 8,998 motorcyclists and their passengers were injured, in,
- 10,331 accidents.
Based upon data collected by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention between 2001 and 2008 (a total of 1,222,000 people who received hospital treatment for non-fatal motorcycle accident related injuries), the most common motorcyclist injuries are those to the feet or legs. However, other frequent cyclist injuries include,
- Brain injuries
- Neck, back and shoulder injuries
- Hand, arm and leg injuries
- Pelvis and hip injuries
- Traumatic amputations.
Conditions Causing Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA:)
- Older cyclists have a higher risk for a fatal accident; 56% of riders killed in accidents were 40 or older in 2011 with 42 being the average age for those dying in motorcycle accidents.
- Rush hour traffic is a large contributing factor to motorcycle accidents. On any given weekday 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm is the riskiest time for motorcycle riding, resulting in 23% of motorcycle fatalities.
- 34% of motorcycle fatalities in 2012 were attributed to speeding.
- 27% of cyclists involved in fatal accidents had a blood alcohol concentration more than the legal limit. Motorcyclists between the ages 40 and 44 had the highest incidence of alcohol-related motorcycle crash fatalities and motorcyclists were 3.4 times more likely to have a blood alcohol content level higher than the legal limit at night. The NHTSA study estimated that almost half of all motorcyclists riding at night are intoxicated.
- Nearly a quarter of all motorcycle riders fatally injured in 2012 were unlicensed.
A study published in 2007 by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) found that individuals riding “super sport” motorcycles — whose average age was 27 — have death rates nearly four times higher than those using other types of motorcycles. If the “super sport” motorcycle has an antilock braking system, the chance of a fatal crash was reduced by 37%, according to the IIHS.
If you have legal questions following a motorcycle collision, please contact our Clearwater office today. We are always available to help and your consultation is always free 1-800-222-8163.
How We Can Help
If you are a Sarasota motorcyclist injured due to another’s negligence, it is important you contact experienced Sarasota motorcycle accident attorneys, as soon as possible, following the collision. A negligence case is built upon facts, which can only be determined after a thorough and complete investigation; the earlier we begin, the easier it will be to locate and interview any witnesses, discover all relevant facts and develop a litigation strategy to maximize your total damage recovery.
Florida personal injury and insurance laws are very complex. Speaking with or attempting to negotiate a settlement on your own with experienced insurance adjuster can negatively impact the value of your case and will almost certainly result in a reduced settlement. At the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys, our attorneys have litigated with the insurance industry for years. We retain medical experts and economists to accurately determine the true value of motorcycle injury case and, should negotiations fail to result in a fair and reasonable settlement, we are fully prepared to file suit and take your case to Court. At the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys, we do not get paid unless you win — and we want to win!
Sarasota Motorcycle Accident Injury – Call Today!
If you have questions regarding your motorcycle accident, contact our Sarasota motorcycle injury attorneys today at 1-800-222-8163. Our experienced team of legal professionals are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet with you and discuss your legal options.
Contact the Fernandez Firm Accident Injury Attorneys today, the legal consultation is free.