Orlando Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys
Everyday thousands of frail elderly people suffer from preventable bedsores, avoidable falls and needless abuse and neglect in nursing homes. While most facilities advertise that they provide 24 hour, skilled-nursing care, in many instances, these same homes are under-insured and frequently understaffed, by underpaid and sometimes under qualified employees.
Federal law states that nursing home residents have “the right to be free from verbal, sexual, physical and mental abuse, corporal punishment, and involuntary seclusion.” If your loved one has sustained an injury or you suspect abuse or neglect, please consult with our experienced Orlando nursing home abuse attorneys today to protect their resident’s rights 1-800-222-8163.
For a immediate case review, click here for a free online consultation.
Nursing Home Abuse Settlements & Verdicts
At the Fernandez Firm, our attorneys are dedicated to protecting the rights of helpless nursing home and assisted living facility residents injured by negligent heath care providers. Whether the injury was a result of abuse, neglect, negligent supervision, etc., our law firm aggressively prosecutes nursing home abuse claims all over the State, we have over $90 Million in verdicts and settlements and have achieved excellent results:
- $2.6 Million Verdict on behalf of the family of a 40-year-old single mother, whose wrongful death was caused by a negligent a speech therapist in St. Petersburg.
- $2.3 Million on behalf of the family of a 92-year-old woman who died after being dumped from her wheelchair by a negligent nurse’s aide in Jacksonville.
- $1.9 Million on behalf of the widow of a 75-year-old man who died after developing multiple infected bedsores in a nursing home in Orlando.
What Constitutes Nursing Home Abuse?
In Orlando, nursing home abuse or assisted living facility neglect may involve deliberate acts against a resident or a failure to act in a resident’s best interest. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has identified seven basic forms of abuse and neglect that can occur:
- Physical Abuse
- Verbal or Emotional Abuse
- Misuse of Physical Restraints
- Misuse of Chemical Restraints
- Physical or Medical Neglect
- Verbal or Emotional neglect
- Abuse of the Resident’s Personal Property
Most abuse and neglect occurs in long-term care facilities which are understaffed and overcrowded where there are too few caregivers and too many residents with varying medical problems and personal needs.
Common Signs of Abuse & Neglect
Nearly 72 thousand residents live in nursing homes or long-term care facilities in the state. Sadly, abuse and neglect in many of these facilities is on the rise. Some of the most common signs of abuse and neglect one should recognized are the following:
- Bedsores (also called pressure sores or decubitus ulcers)
- Falls, fractures or head injuries
- Bed injuries/asphyxiation
- Malnutrition or dehydration
- Rapid weight loss or weight gain
- Emotionally upset or agitated, extremely withdrawn or non-communicative
- Elopement/Instances of wandering
- Unexplained injuries, such as wounds, cuts, bruises, etc…
- Unexpected death of a resident
Often family members are reluctant to question health care providers and investigate common signs of abuse or when seek complete answers when an unexplained death occurs. Over the years, our managing partner, Frank Fernandez, has investigated hundreds of nursing home abuse claims and through aggressive litigation skills has successfully forced billion dollar corporate owned facilities to pay tens of millions of dollars to resolve such lawsuits.
Orlando Nursing Home Injury – Call Today!
If your loved one has been injured or abused in a nursing home or assisted living facility in Orlando, Florida, please contact our law firm today at 1-800-222-8163.
We are available 24/7 to discuss your legal options and the consultation is free.
At the Fernandez Firm, we don’t get paid unless we win and… We Want to Win!